- Oversee daily operations of the learning environment and maintain the integrity of the room to ensure a clean, orderly, and attractive environment.
- Help the Principal supervise, train, and evaluate assistants through observation and mentorship.
- Present lessons and assess children in best Montessori instructional practices.
- Continue to develop curriculum and Montessori materials to enhance and improve student learning.
- Maintain all records, reports, evaluations, assessments, and student records as required by the Principal.
- Report and implement disciplinary actions for inappropriate behavior as noted in the school’s disciplinary policy in St. John the Baptist Catholic Montessori School Handbook.
- Understand, share, and accept the responsibility for the safety and wellbeing of the children at all times.
- Ensure Archdiocesan and licensing standards are met through the development of materials and lessons to support a safe environment for children.
- Make sure the environment is safe per the school’s risk management and emergency plans and in line with governmental and accreditation requirements.
- Cooperate with Parish Business Administrator and Principal to adhere to budget and spending guidelines as well as proper procedures for child safety.
- Work with catechists to assist in the faith formation of children.
- Attend and help supervise at school functions outside of the school day and/or off campus as required.
- Support the school’s mission, purposes, and objectives in a positive manner to parents and outside constituents.
- Facilitate conferences, meetings, and communication throughout the school year with parents/guardians.
- Help coordinate and implement ongoing formation for parents, e.g., parent education nights, open houses, curriculum nights, etc.
- Plan, organize, and supervise co-curricular activities and events during the school day.
- Assist the Principal with recruitment efforts including the welcoming of parent and student visitors, child intake meetings and interviews, and enrollment consultation.
- Schedule and coordinate specialist time with Principal and Specialists.
- Attend weekly staff and guide meetings, workshops, and professional development opportunities as required by or in consultation with the Principal.
- Adhere to the mission of St. John the Baptist Catholic School.
- Be a practicing Roman Catholic.
- Have or build an understanding of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and work with trained catechists in the faith formation of children.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, preferably in the area of Early Childhood, Elementary Education, or Montessori Education. Teaching license is strongly preferred and encouraged.
- Possess Montessori certification for levels serving.
- Love God and desire to share their faith with others.
- Love children and desire to help them in their personal character, virtue, and faith development.
- Be able to discipline children positively with gentleness, firmness, and consistency.
- Be able to maintain a positive working relationship with other staff, respecting and supporting colleagues and using proper procedures for grievances.
- Be able to maintain strong relationships with parents; characterized by mutual respect, good will, and with the understanding that parents are the primary educators of their children.
- Maintain professionalism in speech, dress, action, and confidentiality.
- Spend adequate time for the planning of lessons, preparation of the learning environment, and communication with parent/guardians.
- Be present to supervise children on school contact days from 8:15 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
- Guide children in the learning environment from 8:45 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. except during lunch break and designated preparation times.
- Spend adequate time for providing proper assessment and record keeping of children’s work and proper resetting of the learning environment.
- Commit time to professional development and training toward the achievement of personal and school goals.