The role of the Lower Elementary Part-time Assistant is to provide support to the Lead Guide. The assistant is responsible to the lead teacher and will assist in establishing and maintaining a harmonious classroom.
Prior teaching experience in a Montessori environment is preferred, but not required.
• Assist the Guide in preparing and maintaining an environment in which the Montessori approach to education is implemented to the children.
• Responsible for working with the Guide to ensure the safety, physical and emotional well-being of the children at all times. The children are not to be left unattended.
• Responsible for working with the Guide to deliver positive phrasing of directives when with the children.
• Responsible for working with the Guide to create an atmosphere of kindness, peacefulness and stability.
• Work with the Guide to supervise classroom in compliance with school guidelines.
• Under the supervision of the Guide, work with individual and small groups of children.
• Working under the direction of the Guide, develop a comfortable and open relationship with the children’s parents. Be prepared to share a short positive story of a child’s behavior at times.
• Work with the Guide to ensure that behavioral concerns are communicated to the parents in accordance with Staff Policy Guidelines.
• Work with the Guide to prepare and maintain classroom materials and maintain an orderly environment, keeping it clean.
• Work with the guide to ensure that current and accurate classroom records are maintained.
• Responsible for dusting and cleaning the environment, refilling supplies and keeping supplies in proper storage.
• Report all accidents at once. Prepare a written report stating date, time, nature of accident, action taken and who was involved. It is imperative that the Guide is made aware of the accident and all circumstances involved.
• Supervise children during field trips, fire drills, and school events.
• Read and become familiar with the staff and parent handbook.
• Complete the required number of training hours as specified by the State of Texas.