Wild Fern Montessori School is looking for a qualified Lead Toddler Guide. The Wild Fern Toddler Program is launching in January 2021. This is a wonderful opportunity for an experienced Montessorian to work at a small nonprofit, with a tight-knit group of colleagues, and have your experience and voice valued while serving our community in making Montessori equitable.
Planning, Preparation, and Instruction
- Plans and implements age-appropriate Montessori curriculum throughout the year.
- Oversees the flow of the classroom.
- Keeps a well-prepared and organized classroom with regular material and activities
- rotating throughout the year.
- Meets regularly with assistants for planning weekly/monthly lessons, reviewing
- children, revitalizing/revising the classroom.
- Maintains close communication with assistants and Program Director.
- Sets up and cleans the classroom, at the beginning/end and throughout the school year.
- Establishes and maintains a record-keeping system to track the children’s progress in Brightwheel
- Uses various assessment tools/strategies such as observations, children’s work samples, continuums of development, portfolios, etc. to help make instructional decisions for individual students.
- Maintains a safe, clean, caregiving environment, practices handwashing, and safe food handling procedures, and assures the well-being and safety of all of the children in that environment.
- Orders classroom materials and supplies within the classroom budget.
- Helps with daily activities including snack and lunch set up and clean up, dressing and
- undressing, toilet and diaper needs, nap time, music and art, practical life activities, sensorial work, and cooking projects, and outdoor play.
- Supports the Montessori and Me Toddler Playgroup as needed.
- Ensures respectful and open lines of communication with parents.
- Attends and responds to parent concerns and questions in a timely manner.
- Sends weekly newsletters from the classroom, highlighting the week’s activities, upcoming events, and the Montessori curriculum.
- Conducts individual parent conferences twice a year to discuss each child’s growth and development.
- Helps educate parents in the Montessori philosophy and finds ways to involve parents in the program.
- Facilitates a respectful environment for children and adults by advocating conflict
- resolution and Grace and Courtesy lessons.
- Respects and protects the privacy of children, parents, and staff.
- Participates in the ongoing evaluation including classroom observations, feedback meetings with Programs Director and Executive Director, and an annual self-assessment.
- Maintains teaching skills and participates in professional development activities (both within the school and attendance at conferences, workshops).
- Complies with all continuing education requirements including annual training hours required through the Virginia Department of Social Services for licensed childcare providers.
- Attends staff meetings, professional days, fundraising events, and other collegial activities designed to make the entire school a productive learning environment.
- Checks email daily and respond as appropriate to requests/questions from the administration.
- Adheres to all school policies and guidelines established in the employee handbook.
- Assists in the development of and participates in school functions, including Open Houses, Orientation, Parent Education, etc.
Qualifications & Skills
- AMI or AMS Montessori Certification and Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Development or related field.
- Three (3) years of experience working in a setting with toddlers, preferably in a Montessori environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with children, parents, and other staff members.
- Experience working with diverse students and families.
- Nurturing, calm, kind, and respectful, with an open attitude towards all children and families.
- Is creative, flexible, loving, and patient. Must be able to analyze student behavior and apply appropriate intervention.
To be completed upon hire, before school starts:
- Current Tuberculosis test
- Complete Central Registry and state background check and fingerprints
- First Aid/CPR Certification