Job Description: Lead Infant Teacher
Mission: Montessori Community School of Rhode Island (MCS RI) is a socio-economically diverse community school that inspires children to cultivate confidence, inner discipline, a love of learning, and a spirit of connectedness. We are a family friendly, community oriented school, with an arts, science, and nature based curriculum. We are located on the South Side of Providence in our beautifully designed and renovated schoolhouse.
The Role: MCS RI is seeking a Lead Infant Teacher who is committed to creating a nurturing, safe, and stimulating learning environment for infants. The Lead Infant Teacher’s primary role is to serve the positive development of each infant while fostering a joyful classroom community. We are seeking an expert child care provider/educator who is nurturing, patient, kind and has the ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with infants and their families. The Lead Infant Teacher should be interested in Montessori education, and curious about developing and implementing culturally responsive curriculum.
- Prepares and maintains a safe, nurturing and developmentally appropriate environment and curriculum
- Develops positive relationships with all children and families
- Interacts with and responds to infants in a way that promotes feelings of trust, security and a sense of belonging
- Implements individualized feeding plans, taking into account preferences and eating styles: sits with infants and shares family style meal; modeling manners and good nutrition
- Ensure infants treat each other gently, respecting their curiosity about each other
- Model language with infants; talking, singing and reading frequently
- Care for infants personal hygiene including diaper changing, cleaning, feeding, changing soiled or wet clothes
- Organize daily schedule and activities that promote the development of curiosity, independence, problem solving, and creativity.
- Collaborate with school community in order to implement and embed culturally responsive practices into the classroom culture and curriculum
- Lead the teaching team and delegate as appropriate to assistant teachers, subs, and/or interns
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- At least 5 years experience as an Infant child care provider or Lead Infant Teacher, preferred
- BA or equivalent experience required in: Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Social Work, Special Education, Child Development or related field
- Montessori Infant/Toddler Training, preferred but not required
- Spanish Language Fluency a plus, but not required
- BCI and fingerprinting/CPR/First Aid training
- Show a dedication to MCS RI’s mission, social justice and culturally responsive teaching practice
MCS RI desires to have a diverse pool of applicants in order to reflect our diverse community. We aspire to a culture where each individual’s voice is heard and has the opportunity to thrive.
Start date: January 2, 2019
Please email your thoughtful cover letter and resume or CV to email@example.com Gina Marciano, Director of Operations
Montessori Community School of RI is a 501c3, nonprofit corporation, whose policies are set and overseen by an elected Board of Directors. It is the policy of the school not to discriminate on the basis of age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, race, color and national or ethnic origin in its educational programs, admission policies, financial aid process and other school administered programs, nor does the school discriminate on the basis of gender in its programs and activities in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Any questions in this regard should be directed to the Head of School.