Do you want to change the world?
If your goal is to instill your love of learning in others while advancing in your own professional growth, this is your chance to get in on the ground floor of one of the world’s most innovative schools.
Acton Academy Princeton is a private elementary school opening in fall 2021, that blends state-of-the-art software, quest-like projects with real world application, Socratic discussions, apprenticeships and the Hero’s Journey in a student-centered, multi-age classroom.
Heroes exist to move learners on a journey to understand and develop their most precious gifts, discover their deepest passions, and use them to serve others in a meaningful way that brings them joys. We believe our learners will go on to change the world in a profound way.
Position Description: The Apprentice Guide will work in partnership with the founder to:
- Affirm students, holding them accountable to their promises and to delivering “the best work they can do” as they discover and pursue a calling on a hero’s journey.
- Create meaningful exhibitions, ceremonies and celebrations that reinforce the rules of engagement, personal and group covenants to provide and strengthen a safe learning community.
- Act as a role model as an independent learner on a hero’s journey
- Launch and lead Socratic discussions
- Co-create and launch quests (projects), including daily challenges and curating world class examples
- Supply studio environment and set up studio as inspiration for learning
- Encourage young heroes to track their progress and create portfolios to show parents, peers and apprenticeship employers what they can do.
- Uphold promises to students, parents and fellow Guides made in relational covenants.
- Pass along each of these responsibilities to students as quickly as possible, so as to allow students to lead themselves.
- A deep curiosity about life and love of lifelong learning
- Innovative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Montessori, project-based and/or experiential learning training is helpful
- Commitment to free market ideals
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication skills
- Evident passion for being on a Hero’s Journey.
This is a position for an independent learner who can work with little direct guidance; someone who likes to collaborate, experiment, evaluate and continually improve; someone who has a deep respect for all children believing that each human has genius within; and someone who is a flexible problem-solver. It is essential that this person can learn fast, loves to work hard and is an active reader and writer.