Acton Academy Twin Falls, LLC is seeking guides who are ready to change the world of education. We have two immediate openings for fall 2021.
Do you believe that children are more powerful than we ever imagined? Do you believe that children should be the primary drivers of their learning, the architects of their own education and life’s calling? Do you believe that Montessori principles are the best foundation for life’s journey?
If you answered “yes!” to these questions, then we’d love to explore how you can join our team of passionate Montessorians, entrepreneurs, and innovators in a revolutionary school now coming to Twin Falls, ID.
A Deeper Look:
At Acton Academy, we believe children are on a journey—what we call the hero's journey—to discover their calling in life. As part of the journey, children ask themselves: “Who am I? Where am I going? How do my passions and talents connect with the world around me? How can I serve a great need and even change the world?”
Students taking charge of their own learning is integral to the journey at Acton. Acton challenges students to become the agents and primary drivers of their learning. Acton is a student-driven, self-paced elementary program that blends state-of-the-art software, quest-like projects with real-world applications, Socratic discussions, and the Hero’s Journey in a student-centered, multi-age classroom.
If your goal is to instill your love of learning in others while advancing in your own professional growth, this is your chance to get in on the ground floor of one of the world’s most innovative schools.
Please take a little time now to explore our website, especially the About AATF page. It is full of resources regarding our learner-driven community. https://www.ActonAcademyTF.org
School begins mid August and is an 11-month program. We run on 4-7 week sessions with 1-2 week breaks in between sessions. We are closed for six weeks in the summer (July and half of the month of August.) The Guide should be available to learn and prepare throughout the summer, especially the first year after joining Acton Academy.
The Guide will work with the Program Administrator and Founders to:
- Affirm students, holding them accountable to their promises and to deliver “the best work they can do” as they discover and pursue a calling on a Hero’s Journey.
- Create meaningful exhibitions, ceremonies, and celebrations that reinforce the rules of engagement, and personal and group covenants to provide and strengthen a safe learning community.
- Act as a role model as an independent learner on a Hero’s Journey.
- Launch and lead Socratic discussions.
- Guide Quests (projects), including daily challenges and curating world-class examples.
- Supply Studio environment and set up Studio as inspiration for learning.
- Incorporate Acton programs and self-directed materials and lessons into ‘Core Skills’ work time. Observe and track each child’s progress.
- Encourage young learners to track their progress and create portfolios to show parents, peers and apprenticeship employers what they can do.
- Uphold promises to students, parents and fellow Guides made in relational covenants.
- Communicate with parents.
- Pass along each of these responsibilities to the children as quickly as possible, so as to allow them to lead themselves.
- Thoughtfully observe each child as an individual and the group as a whole to help inspire them along their personal and group journey. A willingness to be more of an observer than a doer.
- Complete an onboarding “training” period directed by our Program Administrator.
- Embody a growth mindset and incorporate it into all aspects of the program including the Guide’s own personal development.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial spirit required
- A deep curiosity about life and love of lifelong learning
- Montessori-training and experience preferred but not required (Primary or Elementary)
- Project-based and/or experiential learning training is helpful
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication skills
· A degree in education is not necessary. If you have launched a business or not-for-profit organization or led a major project, these are also suitable qualifications. Traditional teachers have the most difficult time adapting to the Acton model. The Guide role is NOT a “teaching” role and all ego is to be removed.
- A master of observation
- Evident passion for being on a Hero’s Journey
This is a position for an independent learner who can work with little direct guidance; someone who likes to collaborate, experiment, evaluate and continually improve; someone who has a deep respect for all children believing that each human has genius within; and someone who is a flexible problem-solver. It is essential that this person can learn fast, loves to work hard, and is an active reader and writer.
If interested, as your first step in your audition process, please read deeply through and explore the original campus’s website: http://www.actonacademy.org/austin. Then conduct some of your own research on Acton Academy. Also read "Courage to Grow" by Laura Sandefer (original co-founder). Online or hard copies are available.
Then if you feel you understand and connect with our vision, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, how the position is part of your own journey, what you think of unschooling, and how you heard about this opportunity.
Acton offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus a bonus structure based on performance. Plus a $299/mo credit towards Liberty Health Share medical coverage.
All candidates are first hired on a 3-month probationary period leading to a full-time position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Related keywords: teacher, education, elementary teacher, elementary school teacher